Intro to Moving Water
Price: $279 +GST
Dates: May 5,7,8; May 12,14,15; May 26,28,29 | May 27,28,29; June 2,4,5; June 3,4,5 | June9,11,12; June 10,11,12; | June 16,18,19; June 17,18,19; June 24,25,26
Our flagship canoe course. Students will be introduced to moving water fundamentals that are building blocks for all future paddling you will do. This is the place to start if you have never taken a canoe course, even if you have paddled all your life. We make sure everyone leaves with new skills. The course is more than just an “Intro” course. We provide a safe, supportive and fun environment for you to learn in. This course is a Moving Water course and not a Whitewater Course. Perfect for those wanting to paddle on the Yukon or Teslin rivers and those wanting to move into Whitewater paddling.
Course is taught over 1 evening and 2 Full days.
- Canoe Equipment- canoes, paddles, life jackets, clothing, safety items
- Transporting- Lifting, carrying, moving your canoe on land and vehicle
- Paddle Strokes- forward, reverse, draw, pry, bracing, j -stroke, sweeps
- Maneuvers: launching, landing, straight line, turning, pivots
- Front ferries- moving across the currrent
- Eddy turns- using back eddies to stop in, how to safely use eddies to your advantage
- Canoe safety
NO PARTNER is needed to Register for a Course.
- Courses start on either Thursday or Friday evening on Flatwater 6:30-10pm. Most of the time we use Ear Lake. (pick course date that fits)
- Saturday is split between Schwatka Lake and the Yukon River in Whitehorse. 9am to 4 pm
- Sunday on the Takhini River putting in at Takhini River Campround on Kusawa Lake Road. 9 am to 6pm
- We focus on teaching you good technique so you can maximize your enjoyment on the water and leave the course confident in your tools in your paddlers toolbox.
- All equipment is provided with the exception of footwear. We provide Wetsuit as part of the course. BUT we highly recommend renting a drysuit. Drysuits keep you warm & dry. Please see our Course FAQ’s to understand the difference between drysuits & wetsuits.
- Foot wear- Old runners that you don’t mind getting wet are ideal. No Crocs, sandals, or open footwear are permitted. Your footwear will get wet.
- 1:7 Instructor Student Ratio
- Custom dates and groups are available. Please contract us.